Friday, October 29, 2010

All Hallow's Read


Writer Neil Gaiman is trying to start a new tradition that I really want to get behind: All Hallow's Read. The idea is a simple one, on Halloween, or during the week of Halloween, give someone a scary book. That's it. Any chance to give and receive books is okay by me. Here's a link to the All Hallow's Read FAQ.

This reminds me of some conversations I've had with my Gear School partner, Nuria Peris. Apparently in Barcelona, their version of Valentine's day, The Day of Saint George, is observed by men giving women flowers and women giving men books. As soon as I heard that, I started looking into how to move to Spain.

For a number of reasons, I'd love to see this tradition catch on. Chief among them is my love of books. And I have a vested interest in passing that love onto others. For instance, my son, and other future readers.

Okay, who has some good scary book recommendations?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Thank you for my All Hallows Read gift, sweetie!

All: Adam gave me a copy of "The October Country" by Ray Bradbury. He gave Oscar "Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs!" by Sandra Boynton.

When can I read to you (since I didn't get you an AHR gift)?