Friday, February 13, 2009

A real-life The guy who doesn't get the girl


I remember as a kid watching these movies in the theater or on HBO for the first time, I could never fully enjoy them. They were funny and all, but there was always that one character. If only he would say the right thing at the right moment, or not act so desperate, or pick up on the girl's signals. I wanted to jump up out of my seat and yell at the screen, tell the guy to wake the hell up and get with the program!


I realize now, of course, that I wanted to yell at that guy so much because he was me. Or I was him. Either way.


And it was no consolation that the film makers often made sure this character got a girl, but I wasn't going to be placated in such a way. Getting some faceless chick was in no way the same as getting Molly Ringwald, okay?


Thank God I grew up to be a guy who could get the girl. Or she got me. Either way.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Aw, what a sweet Valentine's surprise! We get each other. Thank god or cupid or Eros or whomever or whatever. Thank you! Thank Tanya!