And another thing...
This is a meme that was making the rounds on facebook wherein you would, you know, write 25 random things about yourself and post it for all your facebook friends to read. But I figured that everyone who visits this blog may not be my friend on facebook (and why not?) and I thought I should post here, too. Because I know how much folks like random facts about me. Here goes:
1. In real life, I curse. A lot. Really, sometimes I'm embarrassed by my mouth. However, I rarely curse in my writing.
2. I write comic books for money. Not a lot of it, but still. Three titles have been published and/or collected. 100 Girls, Gear School, and Star Wars: Infinities--Return of the Jedi. All of these are available at amazon.com.
3. At least one of those titles exists because I abused my authority while working at a comics publishing company.
4. I was accepted into the graduate film program at Columbia University but couldn't attend for personal reasons.
5. I never expected to get married or have any children. Ever. That was until I met my wife and knew I'd been a jerk most of my life.
6. I am now a stay-at-home dad, taking care of my six-month old son, Oscar. It is the best job I've ever had.
7. I grew up in Boise, Idaho, but was born in San Jose, California.
8. My family, consisting of two adults and five children, once lived in the mountains in a trailer with no electricity or running water. For the better part of a year. I still remember it fondly.
9. I have a bad memory. Anything that happened prior to, say, 2000, exists mostly in a fog. When I went to my 20th high school reunion this Summer, I spent a lot time asking people their names. I'd grown up with some of these folks, gone to school with some of them for twelve years. I think I hurt some people's feelings.
10. I appreciate music more now than I have at any other point in my life.
11. I buy too many books. More than I will ever be able to read.
12. Prior to meeting my wife, I mostly fell for women who were unattainable or just plain not interested in me. Being with someone who is attainable (hey, I got her, right?) and interested in me is a much better alternative.
13. I'd like to go back to school and get an MFA in writing.
14. I want to one day write a YA novel and have it published by Candlewick Press.
15. I want to travel more. I've only been out of the country once.
16. I acted in a play once in college. I didn't care much for it, though I think I did an okay job.
17. I do the majority of the cooking in my house. I'm good at it and I like it.
18. Enchiladas, albondigas, mole; these are my best dishes.
19. It took three colleges and ten years to finish my degree. Though I did not go to college each of those ten years.
20. I met my wife through a hook-up. Hooked up by a person whom I did not know in the slightest.
21. I used to go to three or four movies every week. Now I see a movie every couple of months. I'd like to find a happy medium.
22. I am a terrible correspondent and, I suspect, friend.
23. I wish there were a way to make money answering Jeopardy questions from the comfort of my couch.
24. I call what I do comics, not graphic novels.
25. I became an orphan at the age of 30.