Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Oscar updated

And this is the update I sent the following day.

Just a quick update to let you all know that Oscar is doing much better. I'm sure that your prayers and well-wishes helped. And thanks for those, by the way. I just read all of your responses and was literally overwhelmed.

Oscar was able to join Melissa and me in our room around 2:30 this morning. The nurses took him off oxygen and bathed him and he responded well to both those things. He fussed until we put him skin-to-skin on Melissa's chest and he calmed right down. (I usually have the opposite reaction.) He hasn't fed yet, but no one seems overly concerned about that. Everyone is guessing that somewhere around the twenty-four hour mark his instincts and hunger will kick in.

Oh, and we have his vitals now, too: He weighed 6lbs, 10 oz and measured 19 inches in length.

One correction: In last night's email, I said that Oscar joined us at 7:47 p.m.. I was wrong. It was 7:37. Melissa is already chastising me for not knowing how old our son is.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Welcome home, Oscar and his (certainly exhausted) parents. It was great to meet Oscar this evening. He is so incredibly cute.

Anonymous said...

hope you all have a peaceful evening. thinking of and loving you all...and awaiting the next update. g'night.

Anonymous said...

One more correction on the numbers: labor was 26.5 hours. The best part: pushing was 4 contractions, 18 minutes. Woo hoo!